OVER 1.6 MILLION PAGEVIEWS SERVED

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Anthony Mackie Discusses CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR


One of the best things about last summer's Captain America: The Winter Soldier was the introduction of Anthony Mackie as The Falcon/Sam Wilson.  And thankfully, Mackie will return for the next film, Captain America: Civil War, based on the Marvel Comics limited series Civil War by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven.

I Am Rogue spoke with Mackie about the third Captain America film, which covered topics like Mackie's familiarity with Civil War, Robert Downey's Jr.'s involvement, a possible new costume for The Falcon, and more.  Here are some of the highlights...

I Am Rogue: Have you read the graphic novel Civil War by Mark Millar and artist Steven McNiven?

Anthony Mackie: I have. You know, I'm not sure how close it will stay because I haven't read anything. I just found out literally this week. I haven't gotten a script or an outline. I don't know how much of it I'm going to be in. I have no idea how they are going to use me. But you know, the Civil War comic book, there is so much there. I don't know how they are going to condense it and make it into a movie because it is a civil war. It's epic! Look at the way it's going now when they announced Phase 3, with Black Panther and Dr. Strange coming into the fold. I have no idea what they are going to do with this movie. I just know that Cap 3 has to be better than Cap 2. So I know Cap 3 is going to be mind-blowing.

IAR: Were you excited when you heard that Black Panther would be introduced in Captain America: Civil War?


Mackie: I was. I was very, very excited. When we were shooting Cap 2 I would always have conversations with them about Black Panther because I wanted to stress the importance of that character to the movie going populous. I couldn't be happier that they cast Chadwick (Boseman). He's a remarkable young man. I've known him off and on for over ten years now. I first met him in '98 at Howard (University) down in D.C. I've only known him from a far. But the more I've heard of him from people who are in his inner circle, the more I've been proud of the fact that someone who did the work, and did their due diligence, is being rewarded at a rate like this in his career because he truly deserves it.

IAR: How important do you think it was for Marvel to get Robert Downey Jr. to star in Captain America: Civil War?

Mackie: It's huge! It's funny, I've met Robert a few times and I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know what he would be like because he is such a mega star and has had so many phases of his career. I have to say, he couldn't be more of a down to Earth, fun to be around, cool, smart person. Every time you talk to him, it's just mind-blowing the stories he tells, and the way he looks at this Iron Man phenomenon and how it's helping him in the third phase of his career to open doors to do projects that he has wanted to do forever but couldn't. The great thing about these Marvel movies is that everybody in the world sees them. Not just everybody in California and New York, everybody in the world! That’s something that an actor can only dream of having that opportunity.

IAR: Will the Falcon's costume look similar to how it did in Winter Soldier, or more like his classic costume from the comic books?

Mackie: I want my bird, man. I want my bird! The thing is, you know I've been emailing with people over at Marvel. I've putting it out there in the ethos that I'm going to have a new and improved costume and come out all flashy in spandex. So I'm hoping that I get a new and improved costume. That's my whole thing. I've just been saying it, hoping that they'll read it and say, "Alright, we have to give Anthony a new costume." Please, dress me up in spandex!

IAR: Finally, did you shoot a scene for Avengers: Age of Ultron? Will you be appearing in that sequel before audiences see you in Civil War?

Mackie: I hope. At this point, I have not. I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope. They're doing reshoots and that's why I'm letting them know I'm available. So whatever weekend they want me there, I'll fly myself out and shoot whatever scene they want me in. Even if it's like, "Oh man, it's Iron Man and Hulk." But I heard today in one of the interviews that someone thought I was in Ant-Man. I hope so! I hope I'm in Ant-Man. I hope I'm in Hulk 3, I hope I'm in Thor 3, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Me and Groot can boogie!


Following the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron, the collective governments of the world pass an act designed to regulate all superhuman activity. This polarizes opinion amongst the Avengers, causing two factions to side with Iron Man (Downey Jr.) or Captain America (Evans), which causes an epic battle between former allies.

Captain America: Civil War is scheduled to open in theaters on May 6, 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment